Sunday, May 2, 2010

DMD screen purchased

I found a guy selling a 19" 4:3 LCD screen on Craigslist for $60 which would be perfect for the scoreboard and I talked him down to $40. It's a Samsung 191T, a pretty nice monitor and a good deal. It did take an hour each way to get to Venice, damn the 405 sucks, but anything for a deal ;) Yesterday I returned the i5-750 and miniATX motherboard to Fry's, will look at the i7 options later this month. The 285 GTX is currently locked in my mailbox, will have to wait until Monday to talk with the mailman about unlocking the box.

In poker land, played a 27 person tournament which had 6 rebuys yesterday. Didn't get much going during the first two tables, couldn't find my spots, arrived at the final table as the shortest stack, and within 3-4 orbits had built my stack from 11K to 34K. I raised 5K from UTG+1 with AQs at the 1K/2K/100 level and everyone folded. The very next hand I have AA UTG and raise it to 5K again and my friend Steve raises all in for 38K+ (he has me covered), it folds to me and I call, he shows QQ. Flop and turn are all blanks when the Q falls on the river to knock me out. A damn 2 outer at a crucial point in the tournament, if I win that hand, as I should 80% of the time, I'm left with about 28% of the chips on the table, with 7 people left and 3 short stacks, a nice spot to be in. That stack was probably worth $500+ dollars at the end. It wasn't meant to be, I took the beat well, but steamed a bit afterwards as over taking those beats when it matters most. The night before had been brutal at my Friday game as well with several 2,3,5 outers as well as losing with AA to K9 on a 999 flop. The savior for the night, playing chinese poker with Jorge, that lightened the mood and was a good time.

I'm keeping this all in perspective though, with the WSOP seat win I'll have a chance at some big money. I'm playing well right now, probably the best I have ever played and the most important thing is I'm confident. I used to play too tight and let people run over me, but I've changed that and it's showing. The plan this summer is to final table a Venetian tournament. The Venetian deep stacks have been a favorite of mine for the last 3 summers, but a final table has eluded me. The first year I was the absolute bubble in a 685 person tournament, losing to an A on the river when a guy played AK poorly putting his money in with A high with one card to come, and only 8% of the field getting paid. The following year I min cashed in one of the 3 events, but wasn't not playing well. Last year I played 3 events, went out in the first orbit with KK vs AA, the second event went real deep, but did not cash, and then in the last event when deep busting in 71 out of 890+ when I lost with KK vs J9. First place was over 60K, I made $35 due to a horrible payout structure. I feel that this summer I'm better prepared then previous years and I feel it's my time to shine. I'll be going into each of the events this year, focused and expecting to win.

No comments: