Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Start of a new project - Pinball Cabinet

Recently I got back into MAME so that I could play a bunch of the old games I really enjoy as well as try and find some news ones. The plan was to get MAME all setup and then consider building a stand up cabinet as I've always wanted such a setup since I was a kid. While reading several MAME forums I came across virtual pinball which I had never seen before. I've always been a fan of pinball, but wouldn't own a machine, because it would get old playing the same game for years on end. A couple of hours later I had Visual Pinball and Future Pinball running and I was hooked. Being able to play nearly all the boards I've always enjoyed as well as new ones and classics I've never seen is pretty darn cool. Shortly after I started reading about virtual pinball and found people that have taken either old pinball cabinets or made their own, put in a computer, several LCD screens among other things and the result is a virtual pinball cabinet with 100's of tables. This really intrigued me and it seemed like something I could and would want to do. The other kicker was that I could use the 32" screen that is used on the backglass of the cabinet to play MAME on as well so I could have both virtual pinball and MAME going. So the build is on, I've done a ton of research and started ordering the parts, more to come...

No comments: